Simon Hough

2011 F1 Championship Predictions

I became fed up with seeing my bad choice from last year as the last post here, so thought I would start the ball rolling with this years poll !!!

So I think it will be a Red Bull once more, with a reasonably tight battle between them and Ferrari at the start, McLaren will chase them down towards the mid season stage.

Of the Lotus saga, I think the court battle will go to Team Lotus, then a "marketing" aggrement will be reached. Renault will probably come out top at the end of the day, but Team Lotus will have around 5 points by the end of the year and again finish top of the division 2.

Im backing Jenson, Lewis and Heikki

PS. The new "Team Lotus" website is now live too !!!

Red Bull and Ferrari look to have been the most prudent during testing with a phenomenal number of laps, especially Ferrari. However, I think Lewis will transcend a difficult McLaren on his day and the new Williams looks excellent, ditto Heidfeld in the [s]Lotus[/s] Renault. Not sure about Mercedes but you can never write Rosberg and Schumacher off if the car is half-decent.

My prediction: Vettel and Alonso to battle it out again.

Its hard to see past Red Bull and Ferrari for me.

So this year I think I'll go for an early season prediction of Alonso. Fast, committed and takes no prisoners, last years Red Bull was the pick of the field and Vettel should have wrapped up the championship earlier than he did. Being champion I think it will be a monkey off the back and he will drive with a bit more maturity this year. So For me its definitely between those two and could go either way.
Cars to watch, Torros Rosso, Williams and the Mercs and of course McLaren will start slowly and come on strong from the mid season, but if the Ferrari and Red Bull are reliable I think it will be too late.

What of Lotus, well for me theres only one, and thats the Green and Yellow, have had a reasonable turn of pace in practice and I think I will be more generous than Simon and say 8 points by the season end providing they start the early season well when sometimes points can come a little easier through the misfortune of others.

I think they will be quicker than last year but they must get on top of reliability, it bugged them all last year and has been evident in practice so they really must get a handle on it. Best possible finish will be 8th in the championship.

Good luck to them

Don't forget, guys, that the Lotus-Renault is last year's car with some new bodywork and a lick of paint.

The Green and Yellow car is all new and I'm not so sure that the Renault car will 'outpoint' it in the championship.

As far as the Championship is concerend I agree with Kim - Red Bull and Ferrari with McLaren picking up the pieces.

But we're probably all wrong...................

From what I have seen of the pre season tests Ferrari and Red Bull are sure to lead the pack once again but as the year progresses it will be interesting to see how McLaren, Mercedes, and even maybe Renault - with their new radical front exit exhaust design, progress towards the front runners.

As for the championship battle, I can imagine all 6 drivers from Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren will be exchanging wins throughout the year but my money would be on Vettel or Alonso again this year. As for Team Lotus, they have high expectations for 2011, and I would love to see them mixing it up with the mid-field and even hassling the rear of their new rivals. There is no doubt the T128 looks much more fluent in it's design this year and I wish them the best of luck! [b]Prediction: 8th[/b]

Lotus-Renault will no doubt want to impress their new sponsors and I still believe the team has the ability to perform well, especially with the edition of Nick Heidfeld to the ranks. I think their battle will be with Mercedes and Williams for that 4th spot. [b]Prediction: 5th[/b] (same as 2010).

What about the predictions for Sunday's race then...come on Kim, you always get it right or there about's, Simon and Andy should be good at this as well!
mine are:
(wet finger in the air...)
1st Vettel.
2nd Alonso
3rd Hamilton.
12th Heikki.
15th Trulli

(Here's to breakfast in front of the telly Sunday...bring it on!)
Tim

Can't wait for Sunday morning.

I don't really care who wins provided that the Championship gets off to a good start and that the Team Lotus cars feature more strongly than in 2010 - a top ten finish would be fantastic. Everyone seems very optimistic that they will and I'm constantly amazed by the fan base that this team has generated. I will not mind if the Lotus-Renault does well too.

As for the winner, I think Ferrari will be on it better than the others but if I wanted to have a flutter I wouldn't mind a few bob on Jenson. I think Massa could be on it as well this season having had time to realise that he can beat Alonso and therefore he can beat the rest of them. Weber will go well at home, no doubt.

Pre-season testing doesn't mean too much as it is always full of sandbagging and deception. Now the truth will out.

Can't wait.

If Ferrari are the prancing horses then I think McLaren and the Mercs are the dark horses. Lots of updates for both teams as a result of testing problems. McLaren have ditched the radical remote manifold exhaust system that was designed to jet hot gasses to different parts of the aero package, that's a shame as if it had worked it would have been a work of genius ! So they think with a new floor design they can grab a win ? (!)

I will go mad and not with the testing results and say that there will be a race much like before with Button kind to his tyres and making up time mid race either through a safety car or race incident with a charging Vettel / Alonso / Hamilton..... So a triple for Button !!

One of the Team Lotus cars will outpace a midfield runner from last year !!

I hope to be back from Taiwan in time, maybe the Jet-lag will help me stay awake early on Sunday !!!