Team Lotus

"Pub Lotus"

Hey John

Where do I start....my 2 elder brothers worked at Cheshunt for about a year prior to Lotus moving to Hethel. We had followed Lotus from the early 60's and I joined as their first school leaver in late 68 with the help of Ted Elliot (assembly manager) and family friend.

Over the years have collected bits & pieces, most from the dumpsters around the factory. About 2 years ago I had a call from a woman saying she had found a box of litho plates (old style printing plates) in her loft. How they got there I have no idea, but went over to have a look. There was about 130, most are general notice board information re works committe, quite a few are very interesting, some marked 'confidential' which relates to 2 proposed models...the 412 Elan, with matt black bodywork and Gold Leaf Team Lotus nose badge etc. The other an bigger engined +2.

Strangly enough one of the plates related to Pub Lotus. I left Lotus in the mid 70's to go into the world of sales, although I have gone full circle, back in 99 I was asked to 'help' with the driver training at Hethel. My 'proper' job is coaching people in public speaking etc. I also run the factory tour at Lotus on Wednesday's and help Clive at Classic Team Lotus, so I guess I have one of the best job's in the world for a Lotus nut.

Sorry your simple question has resulted in such a long reply.

Best wishes

Richard

Chris Mayhew and I had a chat with Richard (CTL) yesterday about his contact prints. He's going to look through them and see if there is anyone in them who is still alive that was there and that we might interview for an article for Chicane along with some of the pictures. Making progres.......

Alterations to my house have forced me into the loft to sift and discard the 25 years worth of tat or valuable memorabilia (depends on your point of view, which seems to be man versus woman at present) and decide what indeed to do with it.

Keep it, sell it or throw it, being the various options before me. However, in order to reach a decision you have to look through all this stuff to “evaluate” it, is it a rare and treasured artifact or just something that was kept that, you were definitely going to do something with one day.

In the course of this very time consuming “evaluation” I came across this photo which I remembered from this thread. Unfortunately the accompanying article made no further reference to the picture but it substantiates what has been said before and adds another bit to the puzzle.

publotus555.jpg

I have lots of stuff to evaluate/liberate and it’s all piled high in the hallway at present so watch out for some more gems from the archive or maybe watch the dustbin man get a hernia carting it all away!

Kim

Couldn't loose our favourite topic ... feel free to copy anything which you posted accross but hopefully it will be good to see this subject continue to progress.

[font="Tahoma,sans-serif"] [/font][size="5"][color="#ff6600"]BASS CHARRINGTON - PUB LOTUS[/color][/size]

On Tuesday 15[sup]th[/sup]. of December 1970 Charrington and Company in conjunction with Lotus Cars Ltd. re-opened the former Chalk Farm Tavern, 89, Regents Park Road to produce an exciting new pub theme based on Lotus car, aptly named PUB LOTUS. This project was an addition to Bass Charrington’s many speciality houses and both companies were determined that Pub Lotus should become the centre for racing clubs and enthusiasts in London. The House which was situated near Primrose Hill, a short distance from London’s West End incorporated the Pit Stop Bar, the Lotus Seven Snack Bar and the Europa Lounge which was fitted with seating from the Lotus Europa Sports Car. In addition the Grandstand patio had a display of Lotus cars. [img]http://www.lotus7register.co.uk/images/Pub%20Lotus.jpg[/img] At the opening, the first pint was pulled by Group Lotus Chairman, Colin Chapman. Lotus, who at that time had won the World Racing Car Championship on four occasions in 1963, 1965, 1968 and 1970 had on display on the Grandstand patio the 1960 Lotus 18 Rob Walker/Stirling Moss car which won Lotus their first ever World Championship race, a Lotus 63, the John Miles 1969 4-wheel drive car and a Lotus 69 1970 Lombank Championship car. Among the personalities present at the opening were Colin Chapman, Stirling Moss, Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, Bobby Moore, Tony Rudd and Formula 3 Champion, Tony Trimmer. The opening was shown on the BBC2 “Wheelbase” programme live from Pub Lotus where there were interviews with many of the people who helped Lotus become world famous. JWW[font="Tahoma,sans-serif"]
[/font]

The Club Lotus magazine also has 10 different photos of the pub & some of the celebrities including, of course ACBC.
No sign if the late, great Tony Rudd (what an Engineer!!) or the infamous Graham Arnold.
Was 1970 pre-Arnold at Club Lotus era?

Graham Arnold joined Lotus in 1963 so he was well and truly a Lotus man by 1970.

Interestingly, the BBC showed its 'Secret Life of the Motorway' documentaries recently and I couldn't help noticing that one public demonstartion against the introduction of the 70mph speed limit was being addressed by Graham.

I've found a copy from ITN of the same protest [url="http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4GxBgDavw&feature=related"]HERE[/url] which shows Graham talking and then driving off in an Elan.......

That bit of footage did make me chuckle, today's protesters still throw the same old cliches around & with the same effect.
The World keeps on spinning but we appear to be standing still when trying to deal with Governments & law makers.

Truly incredible that such film material is still out there; could it be possible that the BBC2 bit on the opening of Pub Lotus is out there in the public domain?

Cheers
John

I'll never fail to be surprised by the interest and knowledge in all things Lotus that you two have, who needs computers when we have Stripes and Grumpy on the case, when are you writing your next book, what will it be called - "Lotus-life in the good old days" - or something much more inspirational I would guess. :rolleyes:
Cheers..Tim