Sign in to follow this  
Atthelimit

New type of Fire Extinguisher. Fire Safety Stick

Having purchased another car I needed a new fire extinguisher ( I have suffered a Lotus fire before)  and came across these at the NEC classic car show in November. Being the cautious type and sceptical I did not buy there and then but went home to do more research. (Long live Google) Developed for space the technology has been around for a good few years but now has become cost effective and therefore relevant for every day use.

The Fire safety stick discharges an ozone friendly gas and the one I bought was a 50 second discharge time. A normal dry powder unit 4 - 6 KG takes around 20-25 secs so you get double the time to tackle the fire.It operates for all fires A B C & F (there is no E) and is safe for electrical equipment, this means you can use it anywhere, in the home, car, caravan etc and it leaves little or no residue.

Its very small and portable and easy to put in the glove box, if the lotus had one and is very lightweight. 

Here is the link so you can make your own mind up.https://firesafetystick.com

The one thing I would say is this, all fire extinguishers are only of any use if you can catch the  fire early, when my Esprit caught fire, the extinguisher was in the boot/engine bay and so with the fire well set I did not want to open the boot to retrieve the extinguisher, it would have given loads more oxygen to the fire and would have been very dangerous, I bottled out and had to watch the car burn. If you do have an engine bay fire the thing to do is pop the bonnet and poke the fire extinguisher in without opening fully and let it go to work, only when the flames have died down open the bonnet for better access but be prepared for a new surge of flames. Don't be brave, be safe! 

IMG_2477.jpg

• Like 2