Sign in to follow this  
SimonPercy

Solar battery charger

I have a perfect storm of no power in the garage, a holiday and crap weather which has resulted in a completely flat battery. Does anyone use a solar battery conditioner on a s2 exige, and does it work?

Hi Simon,

I did use a solar charger (fixed up on my garage roof) on my S1 Elise for about 6 months before I installed power to my old garage. To be honest it was a bit hit and miss.

It seemed to keep the battery topped up enough to start the car, if there had been a few sunny days. If the weather was not so good, I did have to remove the battery and charge it a few times which was a pain.

I think it all probably lies in the quality of the solar panel itself, but I don't know enough about that side of things.

If you are looking for something to keep the battery topped up for a couple of weeks or so then solar may do it, if you are talking much longer then maybe look at other options such as maybe an extension lead and a battery conditioner/charger.

HTH

• Like 1

I used to use one on my 1.6 Elise (an inexpensive version bought from Maplin 'back in the day').

When it was parked outside, it extended the battery life by about a week to 3 weeks or so of inactive car use.

When I found I garage to rent, with a section of clear, corrugated plastic in the roof, it obviously worked less efficiently but without the alarm/immobiliser switched on it still managed to do a job (I appreciate there might be insurance issues with that). 

Now, I've had a battery cut-off fitted (no electrical power to the garage) and so don't have to worry.

Thanks for the replies. 

Main issue was i set the alarm, which i don't always do when it is being left for a while, due to the triple locks on the garage. I have a tracker fitted, so couldn't fit a cut off switch, and the garage is 50m from the house so an extension lead is out of the question.

I will look at what is available and maybe give one a go, if its not too expensive.