Sign in to follow this  
Barney520

Steering wheel issue

My newly purchased Lotus Elise S2 has just failed the MOT as the Momo steering wheel fitted has no Airbag ! Does anyone know where I can purchase a momo steering with airbag or a sporty wheel with airbag ?

That sounds a tough break and if the car was sold to you with an MOT I'd be thinking about having a word with the seller...

But in the meantime - and with little technical knowledge as to whether you can simply remove your existing Momo wheel and replace it with an airbag type one - and if anyone doesn't have one knocking around in their garage - you could try Elise Parts / Seriously Lotus / Elise Shop / Elise Spares.

A better first option, perhaps, is UK Lotus Centre.

I have no affiliation with any of these companies, btw.

Or there's this on ebay - which looks very similar to what I have in my S3 Elise and the description says it's from a VX220:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vauxhall-VX220-Original-Momo-Steering-Wheel-Complete-With-Air-Bag-Bolts/223421542203?hash=item3404f62f3b:g:BBQAAOSw5wNcWENJ

Hope you manage to get this sorted quickly and (reasonably) economically - last thing you want with a new acquisition.

Mark 

Hi there,  

You don’t say what year your Elise is but It may be worth  finding out first if yours came with an airbag in the first place!

If it wasn’t fitted with one originally then surely you don’t need to fit one now.

Mines an 02 S2 and the factory fitted wheel is airbag less.

Regards. Andy 

Many thanks for replies. What I didn't realise was a small black sticker was blocking me seeing the airbag warning light.

seller being very helpful in finding a replacement !

Good stuff...hopefully resolved soon and out driving it👍

P.s since discovered the airbag appeared in the Elise when it became Toyota powered.

ATB Andy.

You can trick the ECU to that the airbag is present and extinguish the light with a resistor, some of the Lotus parts suppliers sell them, This should pass an MOT especially if you take it to a different testing station, I've done this in the past on my Clio Cup after taking all the airbag out, others have done it with the Elise/Exige.

My 06 111R (Toyota powered) never had an airbag, although it now has a removable Momo. Not sure but I think airbags didn't arrive until later (2010 anyone?)