OrangeExige

AGM at The Stag Redhill - 14 March 2019

I’m afraid week day evening rules Sian and myself out as well but on a positive note that means what we save on staying away for the AGM we can spend on a different weekend away with the club. 

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2018 at 8:49 PM, sinbad said:

Rules out more than one or two members from attending. 

Like me, for instance.

I'm  disappointed with this news.  Having been to the last two AGMs at Farmers Fayre I found them to be enjoyable and informative events.  Coupled with, let’s not forget, the breakfast meet beforehand and (optional) Sunday roast afterwards!  And for me personally, it kicked off the LDC year and I looked forward to catching up with folks I'd not seen for several months and - hopefully - driving the Elise.

I didn't realise that clashing with Mother's Day was a problem nor that avoiding it was such an issue.

I guess 'proof of the pudding' will be in how many attend at The Stag next March - on a weekday evening (which is arguably the biggest problem with the change) - and how useful the exchanges between the Committee and attending members are.  I think I'd say that whilst I understand holding an AGM is a formal requirement, the meetings I've attended have been more than mere formalities.  The discussions, exchanges of ideas and...volunteering (last year particularly - you know who you are!) were just what the club is all about - having a good, friendly, willing and engaged membership!

Mark 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Flaming June said:

Like me, for instance.

I'm  disappointed with this news.  Having been to the last two AGMs at Farmers Fayre I found them to be enjoyable and informative events.  Coupled with, let’s not forget, the breakfast meet beforehand and (optional) Sunday roast afterwards!  And for me personally, it kicked off the LDC year and I looked forward to catching up with folks I'd not seen for several months and - hopefully - driving the Elise.

I didn't realise that clashing with Mother's Day was a problem nor that avoiding it was such an issue.

I guess 'proof of the pudding' will be in how many attend at The Stag next March - on a weekday evening (which is arguably the biggest problem with the change) - and how useful the exchanges between the Committee and attending members are.  I think I'd say that whilst I understand holding an AGM is a formal requirement, the meetings I've attended have been more than mere formalities.  The discussions, exchanges of ideas and...volunteering (last year particularly - you know who you are!) were just what the club is all about - having a good, friendly, willing and engaged membership!

Mark 

Well said Mark .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A7ESK said:

Ditto this, well put Mark.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/29/2018 at 12:48 PM, Flaming June said:

Like me, for instance.

Mark 

Well done Mark, makes a good header for an on-line petition! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A petition needs a list of signatories.  Now, who do we know who's au fait with lists!

Seriously, I was just giving my view and as with any change there will be some who are against it, some who are for it and some who aren't that bothered really.

But each to their own (& now I'll wait for a 'sad' or 'confused' face to appear against this post, which seems to be happening quite a lot lately...out of the 4 options that there are I mean!). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As a long time LDC member I have seen many AGMs come and go. Whatever venue or day or time chosen there will always be people who cannot attend.  I have not been to some because I used to work on Saturdays and at other times we have been away and so on.

I have even been to LDC AGMs in the past where the committee members out numbered the attendees and I think it is a tribute to the committee, its area leaders, volunteers and enthusiastic members that the club has made such progress in recent years that the AGM is now regarded as an event to attend, rather than to avoid!

The Stagg as a venue is fine, I am sure the room arrangements can be resolved in the spirit of goodwill that now exists between the clubs rather than the warring that was evident some years ago and I am confident that if the boot were on the other foot, LDC would assist Club Lotus in the same manor.

So we are left with "the proof of the pudding" and that of course will be tested in due course. Personally I don't think so many will attend, the promise of food, AGM and more food has proved popular and of course this will not be on offer this time around.   But, if you never try anything new you don't know what the results will be and it may be the Stagg venue time and date suit an audience that a weekend especially on mothering Sunday does not. Seriously though, if it does not work, it won't be repeated. There are lots of suitable venues to choose from and with more forward thinking I am sure we can manage to miss Mothering Sunday!

Once upon a time LDC had an "official" season opener, normally held in Stow on the Wold, pretty little town, central location and lots of pubs and cafes to get food in, it was just a social event but always well attended as people liked to meet up after the winter months, perhaps we should re-invent it?  

Kim

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 12:48 PM, Flaming June said:

Like me, for instance.

Mark 

Spot on Mark so you’d be welcome  to pop over and join us in west Wales weekend before or after the AGM for a gathering. Or why not a meet up half way between for convivial conversation, ale, wine, good food and excellent company the more the merrier and this could constitute the first meet of the west Wales area even though exported to That foreign land of England. 

Ps Burford is about half way 

Edited by V4FRP
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, V4FRP said:

Spot on Mark so you’d be welcome  to pop over and join us in west Wales weekend before or after the AGM for a gathering. Or why not a meet up half way between for convivial conversation, ale, wine, good food and excellent company the more the merrier and this could constitute the first meet of the west Wales area even though exported to That foreign land of England. 

Ps Burford is about half way 

Can this be Changed Colin .

2 minutes ago, A7ESK said:

Can this be Changed Colin .

You could pop along too Eddie a bit like the old impromptu FRP and Lotus pre season get together we used to have in what was the Puesdown Inn near Northleach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1