Sign in to follow this  
Hartleyj

Jim Clark Weekend Duns 7th - 8th April

This pinched off the Club Lotus site - wondered if any on here are planning to head north for the event?

As many will know, this year is the 50th anniversary of Jim’s fatal accident at a cold and damp Hockenheim during a Formula 2 race on April 7th 1968. His Lotus 48 left the circuit at high speed and went off into the unprotected trees that lined the circuit. The cause of the accident was never conclusively established although the view of the majority is that it was caused by a deflating rear tyre. One thing for certain is on that part of the track - a gentle right hand curve - a driver error by someone of Jim’s ability was absolutely out of the question. In association with the Jim Clark Trust and the Chirnside Community we’re organising a series of events in Duns and Chirnside over the weekend of 7th-8th April. Over the past few years our annual Jim Clark Weekend has celebrated many of his remarkable achievements. Although this year sadly marks a tragic occasion, we all want it to be an upbeat weekend to remember and reflect on how special Jimmy was - a modest Borders farmer who was not only a gentleman but who also possessed a sublime ability as a racing driver.

The weekend starts on Friday evening when we meet at the Jim Clark Clock tower in Chirnside at 19.00 for our traditional evening drive to Eyemouth for the freshest fish and chips. No booking is needed but we will be leaving at 19.15 sharp so please don’t be late.

On Saturday we have the following events:
11.00 - A ground-breaking ceremony at the Jim Clark Room in Duns to celebrate the start of the build programme for the new extension to the Room. Several racing and road cars driven by Jim and provided by Classic Team Lotus and others will be on display outside the Jim Clark Room together with many Lotus cars from Club Lotus members parked along Newtown Street.There will also be a piper and the Jim Clark Room will be open all weekend.
15.00 - Service of Remembrance and wreath laying at Chirnside Parish Church.
19.30 for 20.00 - Commemorative Remembrance Dinner at Carfraemill Hotel (www.carfraemill.co.uk) which was a regular watering hole of Jim, Innes Ireland and many other Scottish racing drivers. The menu has been carefully chosen to reflect the Borders and is all locally sourced: Starter: Ettrick Valley Smoked Scottish Salmon with lemon & mixed salad leaves
Main:Roast Rib of Border Beef with Yorkshire pudding, skirlie tomatoes and chef’s selection of potatoes and fresh vegetables
Pudding:Border Berries Pavlova
Tea, coffee & mints
A delicious vegetarian main course option will be available which is Oriental style vegetable filo cases with a mild spicy cream sauce. The cost is £36 per head including service and we will need full payment with your booking. We’re expecting many Lotus personalities to attend but we only have room for 130 guests. If you’d like to be there please book now to avoid any disappointment.To reserve your place please call Club HQ or email annemarie@clublotus.co.uk

On Sunday we meet at Chirnside from around 10.00 where the local community have organised an exhibition display of Jim's trophies and memorabilia in the village hall titled ‘Jim Clark - Chirnside’s World Champion’. Jim always considered Chirnside to be his home and expect to see many personal items not usually on public display. The exhibition will be in the Chirnside Community Centre, Main Street, East End, Chirnside, TD11 3XR (opposite the Jim Clark Clock tower) and is open from 10.00 to 16.00 on Friday April 6th to Sunday April 8th inclusive. Admission is free but donations are welcome on the door and UK taxpayers can also claim Gift Aid. Members and supporters can also donate to the exhibition via the ‘Just Giving’ button on the event website www.chirnsidecommongood.org. We might also take a drive out locally or perhaps arrange a convoy of Lotus road cars around the town.

A long way I know, but I only need a little persuading...

Hartley

Well I've persuaded myself, even if no-one else has! Fingers crossed that the weather improves!

Fair play to you Hatley it will be well worth the trip for the events planned. 

I do intend to visit the museum one day  but can't make it this time. 

Cheers