OrangeExige

Sculpture By The Lakes - Sunday 3 September 2017

Sculpture By The Lakes - Sunday 3 September 2017

Pallington Lakes, Dorchester DT2 8QU

We will start the run from The Crown Hotel, West St, Blandford Forum DT11 7AJ from 9.30am for coffee with a view to leaving at 10.30am for a scenic run across the Purbecks (down to the seaside).

Nestled in 26 acres of Dorset’s glorious countryside lies Sculpture by the Lakes, an oasis for art lovers and collectors alike created by renowned sculptor Simon Gudgeon. Simon’s vision was to create an environment for enthusiasts that blends nature’s beauty with inspiring works of art free from the constraints of enclosed spaces of a traditional gallery. The sculpture park has been carefully landscaped and curated to ensure each piece is positioned to enhance its aesthetic qualities as well as the visual surroundings.

Working closely with Simon, Monique has created a modern garden using inspirations from many different sources both in this country and around the globe. Wherever sculptures have been placed, the planting palette has been kept simple but dramatic so that the work remains the star of the show. Generous planting in every aspect means different areas of the garden are given specific shape and definition and of course there must be evergreens for winter interest.

Since the first gale-lashed, rain-sodden winter, over 3,500 trees and shrubs have been planted as well as a great deal more smaller herbaceous plants, bulbs and grasses. Many are natives and what would have been growing here years before the lakes were dug and the aim is to try and restore the original flora as much as possible. Well advised by Dorset Wildlife Trust, Simon and Monique have allowed nature back in to reclaim her wild bits and set seed.

“It is our greatest wish to leave the place in a better state than we found it both for flora and fauna and to make as small an impact on the environment as possible…I hope above all that visitors enjoy the garden as much as I enjoy creating and improving it. I have stolen ideas from every garden I have ever visited and probably every garden book I’ve looked at. My thanks to all those unwitting contributors”. Monique Gudgeon.

There is a tea rooms, selling a selection of sandwiches, rolls, cakes, soup, panini’s and salads etc as well as an extensive range of tea’s and coffees. Look at the website link below for selection. Hopefully the weather will be (not hopefully, it will be) brilliant and we can take picnics. The management have asked that for us not to eat picnics on the restaurant seating area, but there is plenty of seating area around the lakes.

We have arranged a group rate of £8 per person, if we get a group of over 20 people. Ian will be collecting the money, on the day as the owners would like one payment made and we have had to pay an upfront deposit. Payment will then be subject to numbers on the day. Please try to have the correct money, as otherwise I will have to weigh the Lotus down with loads of change. And Finally, I have secured Lotus only parking.

For more information contact Ian Rymer: i.rymer@lotusdriversclub.org.uk