Lotus Drivers Club
1divla

Help! Leaky Plumbing

Can anyone help in suggesting leak location?

My 02 elise has sprung a leak but only when driven, it appears to drip at the front near side at the first 2 bolts of the front under tray. There seems to be no leak if i just leave it ticking over parked up on the drive.
This leads me to think its a vibration(loose connection).

Has anybody had similar problem any help would be much appreciated. Thanks 1divla

[quote name='1divla' date='14 June 2010 - 07:00 PM' timestamp='1276538432' post='702']

My 02 elise has sprung a leak but only when driven, it appears to drip at the front near side at the first 2 bolts of the front under tray. There seems to be no leak if i just leave it ticking over parked up on the drive.

Has anybody had similar problem any help would be much appreciated. Thanks 1divla
[/quote]

Are you sure that it is coolant? On the S1 (but I'm not sure about the S2)the washer bottle is in that corner. You haven't dislodged it have you? Just a thought.

[quote name='1divla' date='14 June 2010 - 07:00 PM' timestamp='1276538432' post='702']

[/quote]

My guess; Passenger reaction, don't drive so fast :D

[quote name='the83man' date='14 June 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1276540160' post='703']
Are you sure that it is coolant? On the S1 (but I'm not sure about the S2)the washer bottle is in that corner. You haven't dislodged it have you? Just a thought.
[/quote]
Thanks for thought on washer bottle, but no definitly not. Took for short run (3 miles) which revealed more loss and is behind front wheel arch where radiator out pipe is (possbly split or holed but any clues whats the best way of access or garages to take to im in Worcestershire.
Thanks again for reply, 1divla

[quote name='GrumpyBodger' date='14 June 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1276540836' post='704']
My guess; Passenger reaction, don't drive so fast :D
[/quote]
Does that mean thats not a chocolate stain on the passenger seat!

When you say 'driven' do you mean it doesn't drip when the engine is idling [i]at temperature[/i] and the car's stationary? Otherwise it will only leak when hot/driven as then the coolant system is under pressure. Pressumably it is coolant! (green or pink) not simply water??

FNS is the radiator return hose with the bleed screw. Possibly needs a tighten. bit it's more than likely leaking though a split washer. Or could be the hose loose (less likely but worth a tighten up check)

Now the good bit! Both are accessible via the FNS indicator, remove this and you will see a hole through the crash structure behind which is the bleed screw. You can also reach through to the jubilee clip to tighten it. If you need more access, 'simply' pull down the wheel arch liner from the top, with a bit of persuasion it will move enough in!

Otherwise the radiator maybe leaking :o(

A good way of finding the leak is, remove the access cover and drip tray under, and to run the engine to temp, then in the dark/garage, with a torch peer around the NS rad tank, you'll see the hose and bleed screw at the bottom and if the rad's leaking easier.

Try This link .

[url="http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Coolant_system"]http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Coolant_system[/url]

Eddie [img]http://lotusdriversclubonline.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]