Lotus Drivers Club
GrumpyBodger

General F1 Chat

Well that was a show well worth watching!

Well done Rosburg & Hamilton & of course the rest of the team for letting them get on with their race long sparring match.

Let's hope that the other teams will soon be able to join in "the race" & turn 2014 into a memorable F1 season.

I do wish that I could understand that I could understand what all of the "technical thingies" are doing in the engine dept & ask myself if what all of this is adding to the "spectacle"---------- just all too confusing for me I'm afraid.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter more than I could have anticipated.

Cheers

John

Sky Sports F1's Martin Brundle explains the particularly clever technology that provides the Mercedes W05 Formula 1 car with such a clear advantage this year.

The British broadcaster revealed last week that Mercedes had designed and manufactured a split turbocharger. The turbine and the compressor now sit at both extremities of the V6.

Brundle, a former F1 driver himself, explains why such a modification produces so many advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ

I fail to see any significant performance advantage. More likely a "packaging" solution :mellow:

Cheers

John

Wow! Did I once write that F1 is boring?

Apologies, I was mistaken indeed; today's race must surely go down in history, such great entertainment!

Well done Lewis! World drivers champion for the second time.11 race win's in a season. Awesome.

Congrat's to Gill! Well done. Hard luck Simon, it was close in the end...next year. ;)

FIA have said no to 3 car running as that would have been a short fix with a new team due in 2016 and Caterham may be saved. My bet, we will see Jenson in Nissan LMP1 car next year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that result !! It also wouldn't surprise me to see Alonso in a GT car at Le Mans. He also is one of the current F1 drivers seen regularly on the grid at WEC races, but that would depend on his McLaren contract ;)

<rant>

F1 is extremely over rated at the moment and (IMHO) not the top line motorsport anymore, it's technology doesn't relate to road cars its marketing drivel for the masses. There are more paid professional drivers in sportscar racing than F1. A sad state to be in as I would like F1 to be back where it should be, but too many people making money out of it rather than it being a motorsport category now. Hopefully those gathered here would have watched the 6 hours of Sao Paulo, full grid of cars, flat out racing for the full race distance with the top categories of cars all using different technologies, that's motorsport ! If not then make it your mission to follow the WEC for the 2015 season, you can also watch the races LIVE and FREE on Motors TV Freeview channel 71

</rant over>

McLaren-Honda announces Fernando Alonso & Jenson Button for 2015

McLaren-Honda prepares for 2015: laying the foundations for future domination.

McLaren-Honda is delighted to announce its new driver line-up for 2015: Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button. Kevin Magnussen will remain an important part of the team, as test and reserve driver.

All three men will play crucial roles in re-establishing the ascendancy of one of global sport’s most iconic unions, for McLaren and Honda have already formed one of the most dominant partnerships in motorsport history: Honda broke new ground in the 1980s by creating a turbocharged engine that was unparalleled in both its output and its efficiency, and, between 1988 and 1992, McLaren-Honda won eight world championships and 44 grands prix, and took 53 pole positions and set 30 fastest laps, all in just 80 grands prix.

In 1988, the partnership created arguably the single most successful Formula 1 car of all time: the all-conquering McLaren-Honda MP4/4, which was driven to victory by Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost in an amazing 15 of the season’s 16 grands prix.

The lure presented by those same goals has once again brought the legendary Japanese corporation back to the pinnacle of global motor racing; and, again, that company, Honda, is developing its revolutionary new turbocharged engine at its all-new purpose-built state-of-the-art motorsport facility in Sakura, Japan.

It is against that backdrop that McLaren and Honda are now committing to rebuilding afresh the strongest possible partnership in Formula 1.

The aforementioned Ayrton Senna, in the opinion of many the greatest driver in the history of our sport, won 30 of the 44 grands prix that McLaren and Honda annexed together between 1988 and 1992. Ayrton once said: “We do not need myths. We need examples to be followed – examples of courage, determination and hope. We need to believe it is possible to win, and it is our duty to pursue that belief.”

Everyone at McLaren, and at Honda, agrees with every word of that inspirational remark, starting with our newly re-recruited driver, Fernando Alonso.