Tims

New Tyres

My M100 Elan seriously needs new tyres, as with all 'toy cars' that don't do many miles the age outweighs the use, having just seen a classic Merc with two old exploded tyres and an advisory on my recent MOT I thought I should check the date codes....rear's are 1996 front are 2000 ! ! No wonder they are rock hard and it feels scary in the wet . A lesson for us all here.

So, what do I replace them with? The Michelin's fitted when new aren't available anymore, so Toyo, Kumho, Bridgestone etc seem to be options but any advice from M100 owners who have changed tyres would be appreciated.

thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim, when I changed the tyres on my M100 I researched this and came across the Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 as being highly recommended for the M100 as an alternative for the OEM Michelin's that were fitted.

This seems to be the current Michelin Pilot Exalto tyre: click

Thanks Chris, I think your tyres on the S2 were either 16" rather than the 15" as on mine or maybe a different profile because Michelin don't do a 205/50 R15 anymore so that seems to be why people look to other makes. I would like to stick to the nearest I can get as usually the car manufacturer has spent a lot of time making sure the tyres suit the model. I've looked on the Elan forum, a lot of guy's use the Toyo so I'll probably go for that unless anyone makes me the wiser.

Tim

Thanks Chris, I think your tyres on the S2 were either 16" rather than the 15" as on mine or maybe a different profile because Michelin don't do a 205/50 R15 anymore so that seems to be why people look to other makes. I would like to stick to the nearest I can get as usually the car manufacturer has spent a lot of time making sure the tyres suit the model. I've looked on the Elan forum, a lot of guy's use the Toyo so I'll probably go for that unless anyone makes me the wiser.
Tim

Yes you are correct, the S2 has 16's with a slightly lower profile.

Has anyone bought through asda tyres before or should I steer clear ? 

I've entered in my reg and it's come up with these tyres: https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/205-50-15 but apparently the only premium tyres available in my sizes are Continental Premium Contact 2s. A bit annoying because of not much choice, but they do look good. Has anyone bought from here for their lotus before?

Not for a Lotus, as those are specific Yoko's, but certainly for other cars - they're not 'ASDA' tyres they're simply the retailer, you have them fitted at your locally nominated tyre centre.

As long as you're comparing 'apples with apples',  no different to any other on-line only retailer, cheapest wins - therefore perfectly fine

l0tu5,

I think my last set of Yokos came from Black Circles or might have been Tyres on the Drive. Like Ian said, as long as its a good tyre it doesn't matter who sells it to you. From past experience I found it cheaper to buy the "fitted package" than then trying to find someone else to fit them as it can work out more expensive. 

Kim