GrumpyBodger

Monaco GP--The future?

Well it's lap 65 & to date we've had in principle 4 races for the price of 1; sounds like excellent value but I'm asking myself why I've bothered to stay in on this lovely sunny afternoon to watch this crazy procession once again.

Can the FIA really continue to consider Monaco as a "suitable" venue for today's F1 cars & drivers? I think not.

RIP Monaco!

Got my coat on & calling a Taxi! :o

John

Sorry John but that really wont happen. Monaco is the crown jewels of Formula 1, you couldn't possibly think it wont be a reality in the future !!!! You think Monaco was any more suitable 50 years ago? I have called you a taxi. Address please :)

Oh I think that 50 years ago when the cars probably had 1.5 liter engines with possibly 180 BHP  + skinny wheels & tyres that the racing was more fun & maybe the crashed cars were left trackside whilst the race continued.

I'm afraid that yesterday's "event" with all of the safety car laps + a red flag turned it into a farce.

Also the podium without Princess Grace & Prince Rainier (sp.?) is also just not the same :rolleyes:

Cheers

John----------peeking through the curtains & expecting that Taxi any minute now :)

As much as I love the Monaco GP, I just simply failed to enjoy yesterdays Grand Prix :unsure:

I did manage to stay awake for the full race, but only just. John is right - the cars have simply outgrown the circuit. As a motor race it is a joke but as a piece of frivolous sporting activity it remains at the pinnacle of moneyed indulgence. I should think that the teams hate it but recognise its stature and will always want to do well there (as anywhere else!) but if the rules weren't so contrived I'm sure we'd see a completely different sort of racing car at Monaco.

The first Monaco GP was run in 1929 and thye winners avaerage speed was 87.8 mph. Yesterday's race, in cars that have profoundly more power and grip, the pole qulaifying lap speed was about 89 mph. Progress indeed.