Lotus Drivers Club
Hannu

Newbie / Europa

Hi,

Didn't know whether to post this on newbie or here as I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I have been looking for a Europa project for some years now and have just found a possibility, it’s been off the road since 1980 and has no V5 or registration, I have done some digging, checked the VIN with the factory and it seems correct as a standard twin cam and I now have a possible registration number. The big problem is it does not have the engine.

Any advice / pitfalls welcome. Anyone know where I could source an engine?
Here's to a long and successful relationship with the forum

Welcome and good luck with saving another car form the end of life scenario.

I happened to notice that there is a twin cam and some Elan bits in this weeks Classic Car Weekly Classifieds............

There are twin-cams out there to be had but not exactly cheap.
Always consider a complete strip & rebuild regardless of what the seller tells you.
Europa twin-cams are a bit different to all of the rest because the genertor is driven from a pulley located on the back of one of the camshafts. This means that the cylinder head & cam cover are different to accoodate the extended camshaft.
No doubt a generator could be fitted as per a normal twin-cam installation but access may be difficult.
I have seen Europa twin-cams / twin-cam bits for sale occasionally.

If you are not an originality fan why not take a look at what Richard Winter at Europa engineering does with engines like the Vauxhall 4 valve 2Litre.

Cheers & good luck
John

[url="http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page/179000/1970-lotus-europa/"]http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page/179000/1970-lotus-europa/[/url]

[img]http://static.ccfs-static.com/images/car-adverts/medium/2012/09/26/e74229ddf040571d6a3c640b90ffd7ba-1.jpg[/img]

[quote name='GrumpyBodger' timestamp='1353667867' post='6014']
There are twin-cams out there to be had but not exactly cheap.
Always consider a complete strip & rebuild regardless of what the seller tells you.
Europa twin-cams are a bit different to all of the rest because the genertor is driven from a pulley located on the back of one of the camshafts. This means that the cylinder head & cam cover are different to accoodate the extended camshaft.
No doubt a generator could be fitted as per a normal twin-cam installation but access may be difficult.
I have seen Europa twin-cams / twin-cam bits for sale occasionally.

If you are not an originality fan why not take a look at what Richard Winter at Europa engineering does with engines like the Vauxhall 4 valve 2Litre.

Cheers & good luck
John
[/quote]

Thanks John,

I dont live far from Richard and have been to pick his brain, if/when I do it,it has to be original.
I am now thinking the car has to be cheap because the engines arn't.

Regards Bryan

[quote name='Hannu' timestamp='1353682589' post='6016']
Thanks John,

I dont live far from Richard and have been to pick his brain, if/when I do it,it has to be original.
I am now thinking the car has to be cheap because the engines arn't.

Regards Bryan
[/quote]

Well it seems that you have one of Britains best Europa men just around the corner from you. He will surely point you in the right direction.

By the way for future use it would be handy if you add your location to your details.

Cheers
John

Welcome along [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bryan [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :rolleyes:[/font][/color]